Today I saw an orthopeadic doctor for my persistant shin pain. Diagnosis was shin splints with possible stress fracture. I don’t think it is shin splints for of reasons: 1- the pain is not in the sides of my shin, but up and down, in the middle, 2 – it hurts with pressure 3 – feels like it won’t support me and 4 – stress fractures usually don’t show on an x-ray.
Treatment? Not running if it hurts. So it hurts ALL THE TIME. I asked if I could run the Riverbank Run 25k and he replied “Its not like you were gonna win it, were you? So yeah, its possible to do.” I go back in 2 weeks for a follow-up and in the mean time have a lab order for blood work to check my calcium and vitamin D levels.
So now I have to decide: do I run the race or not?
- I have a free entry
- My first big race without Hannah
- The race hotel is the J.W. Marriot
- 7 weeks to get some good runs in
- Still have to pay for hotel, gas and food
- Feel under trained, missed/cut short a lot of runs
- Why run it, if I can’t run it well?
- Won’t be a race to run for fun without any friends/Hannah to run it with
- Only supposed to run to the point of pain, yesterday it was only 3 miles before the dull ache turned into stabbing/pulsating knives
What advice do you have regarding if I should run it or not?